Airbnb hosts ignoring rules of their own place

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
Glendale AZ
I recently came across this story: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-airbnb-covert-listings-banned-units-1.5066673

According to the story, there are some hosts who violate the rules of their apartment/condo building by putting their place up for Airbnb guests to stay at. I feel bad because the woman said it was too late to cancel by the time she got the 'weird rules' from the host (lie and say you're visiting family, use the back door, don't have luggage in the lobby etc.) but she should have notified the app right away; probably could have got her rental cancelled penalty-free, and the host struck from the platform.

Unfortunately, it seems like there's no way to stop this from happening altogether. What are your thoughts?

Sidegiger

Jul 27, 2019
North Miami Beach
Well it's a problem, I don't know really what you can do about it...
But perhaps if you take it to AirBnB they will do something about it?

Like to their user account or maybe give you a partial refund for your troubles..

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
New York City
Yeah, that is a bad problem. No guest wants to feel like they have to sleuth around like a thief! I mean, maybe for some it would be a great adventure. But I think most people do not want to feel like they could get kicked out in the middle of their stay.

Very sneaky of that host not to inform the guests of all that until after it's too late to cancel. Wow.