Alternatives to Upwork

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
New York City
Related to my last post about the way Upwork is cracking down on low-quality workers, I wanted to post here about some of the alternatives to Upwork. Not all of us r super high-quality so if you're having trouble getting work on Upwork or if they've booted you off the system, here are some alternatives.
  • Fiverr
  • Guru.com
  • PPh.
  • Freelancer
  • Mechanical Turk
  • 99Designs
  • Freeup
There are definitely a lot of alternatives. And also, don't forget about the fact that there are jobs boards all over the place that focus on coding, translations, design, all the same things Upwork specializes in.

ChaoticNeutral

May 16, 2019
RUABON
Can I add Bark? You pay to follow up on the leads but they are pretty solid, they will even give your money back if you do not get work. Might be UK only though...

Freelancer is a bit rubbish, low quality, low value jobs and I had a role cancelled 5 years ago by the buyer (he decided he didn't need the service and this was before we even communicated) and because of this and the fact I only worked one other role through them then I now show up as having a 50% complete rate! They won't amend this for me even though it unfairly reflects the situation and as a result I do not get accepted for even the worst roles. I personally prefer PeoplePerHour as it has a much fairer rating system not based on inaccurate info from nearly 7 years ago!

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
New York City
Can I add Bark? You pay to follow up on the leads but they are pretty solid, they will even give your money back if you do not get work.
Sure, what's their website address? I don't generally like the gig companies that charge you for responding to leads, but if they pay you back if you don't get work - that's really solid.