Drivers packin' heat

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
Glendale AZ
As you all probably already know, there are rare instances where being a rideshare driver can go from pleasant, to unfriendly, to downright dangerous. Recently there was a pregnant woman who was stabbed to death by her passenger while driving for Lyft. And as of right now, Lyft apparently hasn't said whether they're letting up at all on their strict 'no weapons' policy in light of this horrible incident.

So apparently, some drivers are taking things into their own hands, keeping hidden weapons (such as guns) with them when on the job. How do you all feel about this? Is it the driver's responsibility to make the passenger feel safe by adhering to a no-weapon policy? Or are the drivers within their right for not wanting to lose their life over their rideshare job?

Reactions: Jon York

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
New York City
Well... now that you put it that way!! It's honestly kind of hard to argue against people being able to protect themselves. And this is a very dangerous job statistically. Statistically, being a taxi driver is one of the most dangerous jobs in America. And I think we're all starting to find out how true that is.

It also seems packin' heat might be what's going to happen in some other gig jobs like that of scooter charges as was discussed here.

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
Yeah, honestly I couldn't see a reason not to, if I were in their shoes. And if I have to use it, and Uber or Lyft lays me off, it's like

"Well, least I have the rest of my life to find something else to get paid for."