Fiverr Has Changed!

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
It's been a long time since I looked at Fiverr. The last time was several years ago. People were selling things - literally for $5! Which is fine. But the problem was, they were selling things that were worth hundreds of dollars for $5!

Creative people were selling their computer graphics and animations for - $5. Writers were selling 3,000 word articles for - $5. It was insane. Third world wages. (And I have to imagine, 3rd world quality of work as well - especially when it comes to fluent articulate writing in English). Not something I had any interest in at all. So I never went back.

But seeing them listed here on Gigworker, prompted me to go take a look and I was shocked at what I saw! Shocked in a good way. Look at this:

1544898222469.png

The first one - creating an explainer video for - $1,800! That's awesome. Because that's really about what it's worth. The talent and time that goes into it and the value it should be to the company buying it - that's a really decent price. In fact, nothing on this first row of highlighted fiverr's for under $100.

That's really encouraging to see. All the other services are like working in a 3rd-world slave-wage cesspool. If the workers from those services would migrate over to fiverr buyers would have to pay fair wages, because no more $2 an hour workerse would be available.

bhelling

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 23, 2018
I've been an avid Fiverr user for years, and remember back when everything was $5. It was a really cool way to bring in new users and get people on the platform.

However, the downside to people doing things for only $5 was that content was often copied from legitimate sites, logos were taken from companies without permission, and overall the quality of those deliverables at that price point was poor.

As quality vendors joined the platform and prices increased, however, that quality seemed to get much higher, especially as of recently. I think as more qualified workers, like actual people in these industries (graphic designers, video editors, etc...), look for a good "side hustle", this quality will get even higher.

Whenever I'm working on a project, I just don't see the need to go through an overpriced agency. It'll cost so much more since they have such large overhead. And if I can directly hire a designer that works with an agency, why would I pay the markup?

I love the time we currently live in. It's a great time to be alive, and an even better time to start a business!