Hidden Surge? Screenshot confirmations!

SLOdriver.til2am

May 18, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
San Luis Obispo, CA
Anybody else notice that Uber initiates a surge on the riders but it will not translate into increased earnings for the drivers? By using the third-party apps Dynamix and Surge for Uber, it is easy to see when increased fares are being applied to the area. When doing a fare estimate with the Uber rider app, we can see when "it's busy, fares are higher than normal" or, even worse, when "its busy, fares are a lot higher than normal"...which makes it rather easy to see when surge is active. At times, Uber will set the driver up with flat rate fares while charging the riders a significant amount more. If the surge stays around long enough, then Uber will apply it to the drivers pay. I have screenshots that show Uber has taken 57.5%, 58%, 60.5%, 61%, and even 67% of rider payment. This is not from an airport or with destination filter active, but simply picking up patrons from the bar scene downtown. Is it just me or are we seeing Uber move into a commission rate that is simply unacceptable??

Reactions: Socaljoe and Laura

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
New York City
No, it's not just you. I've heard a lot of drivers talking about this. I haven't seen any screenshots though. Can you post one or two of yours?

Reactions: Laura

Laura

May 20, 2019
Davenport
I noticed that too and I do have screenshots. I'll get them posted.

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
New York City
Thanks so much for posting those @Laura ! I don't understand though - are you flipping back and forth between the Dynamix app and the Uber app?

Laura

May 20, 2019
Davenport
yes, I took screen shots of one, then the other to compare. They are charging passengers surge prices but not giving it to the drivers....I have more screen shots from today. Uber is trying to get uber rich off the blood sweat and tears of the drivers....

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
Hey @Laura, so help me figure out what I'm looking at in your screenshots. The left side is what you're seeing on the driver's app - which is NO SURGE, and the right side is from the Dynamik app which pulls from the passenger app to show those surges? Is that what we're looking at?

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
Wow... just wow. I've heard people say this but seeing it with my own eyes is just really pretty mind blowing.

Socaljoe

Jun 5, 2019
Costa Mesa
Anybody else notice that Uber initiates a surge on the riders but it will not translate into increased earnings for the drivers? By using the third-party apps Dynamix and Surge for Uber, it is easy to see when increased fares are being applied to the area. When doing a fare estimate with the Uber rider app, we can see when "it's busy, fares are higher than normal" or, even worse, when "its busy, fares are a lot higher than normal"...which makes it rather easy to see when surge is active. At times, Uber will set the driver up with flat rate fares while charging the riders a significant amount more. If the surge stays around long enough, then Uber will apply it to the drivers pay. I have screenshots that show Uber has taken 57.5%, 58%, 60.5%, 61%, and even 67% of rider payment. This is not from an airport or with destination filter active, but simply picking up patrons from the bar scene downtown. Is it just me or are we seeing Uber move into a commission rate that is simply unacceptable??
THEY ARE SCAMING US ALL.. Sucks, I wish would could unit and have everyone strike so UBER make no money. Its should always be a 60% to driver and 40% to Uber..

McCrank

Jan 5, 2019
Austin, Texas
New York, NY
Its should always be a 60% to driver and 40% to Uber..
Wait, what? No, no, no! Not 60% to drivers... 75% to drivers and 25% to Uber.

Actually Uber originally paid drivers 80%! So even 75% is less than it should be. But 60% is way too low.

It's really amazing how people get used to one level and lower their sights over time. If you started when they paid 80% then anything less than that seems like a scam. But I guess if you started when they were paying 40% then 60% sounds pretty good! But believe me, it's not... not at all. It really should be 80%.

Reactions: 702Gigguy