How much will home sharing hosts make during the Super Bowl?

McCrank

Jan 5, 2019
Austin, Texas
What City & State do you work in?
New York, NY
Airbnb is touting the gigantic earnings hosts are expected to have during the Super Bowl in Atlanta this year.

But after reading their press release it doesn't seem hosts are really going to make all that much.

They say they're expecting 9,200 "guest arrivals" in Atlanta during Super Bowl week. Interestingly, 18% are coming from the northeast and 11% from California.

Hotels are nearly sold out so Airbnb and the other platforms will give people another choice and hopefully keep them from having to pay sky-high rates.

I don't know if you remember but in the earlier days of Airbnb - a few short years ago - word had it that hosts were making thousands of dollars in a couple of days in cities where giant events like the Super Bowl were taking place. So, I was expecting to see Air report that hosts were making several hundred dollars a night for at least 2-3 nights in a row.

However, that doesn't seem to be the case. They're saying that Atlanta hosts are going to earn, in the aggregate, $3.3 million. And when they say this is for 9,200 "guest arrivals" that comes to just $360 per arrival. So I'm not sure what they mean by "guest arrivals" exactly. Is that 9,200 separate reservations or 9,200 guests (with something fewer than 9,200 actual reservations)? I don't know. But I would guess they mean 9,200 total reservations amounting to $3.3 million in earnings.

Well, that's not very much per host when you think about it. It's only $360. But somehow Airbnb gets $690 out of it. So I may be making wrong assumptions about what they mean exactly by 9,200 "guest arrivals". Anyway, they say Atlanta hosts will make $690 per host "during the week". So that's how much they're estimating hosts will make on average during the week of the super bowl - which comes to less than $100 a day! $98.57 to be exact.

That's honestly disappointing. A lot hosts would earn that much anyway - (I would hope)!

They also say the average hotel room in Atlanta during game week is $170 per night. And an Airbnb room will be roughly $80 a night. That really doesn't sound like much of a premium to me. I would hope that's what Atlanta hosts routinely get anway.

This honestly sounds more like a publicity campaign to get more hosts to sign up. Like Atlanta needs more hosts if they're only making $80 a night during a premium week! Sounds like they already have more hosts than they need.

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
Interesting. i just checked and right now Atlanta hosts are charging $250-$500 a night for February 2nd & 3rd. But I have a feeling most of these places aren't going to get rented because we're just a week away. And most people who were going to book - booked already this past week.

1548552062698.png

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
Glendale AZ
Interesting, I never even considered Super Bowl as a huge day for hone-renters. Foolish of me to overlook, really!