Is Turo worth doing? I've heard that people beat the crap out of your car, and treat it like an Entreprise rental

CO Rideshare

Dec 5, 2018
I'll drive for Uber, deliver for Instacart, or rent out my home on Airbnb. One thing I will not do, however, is rent my car to a stranger on Turo.

Have you ever ridden in a rental car with a friend, then gone over a speed bump at 50 mph and hit your head on the ceiling? Because I have. When I told my friend to slow down (he didn't see the speed bump, no slight on him) his response... "it's a rental, who cares".

The scary part is that's not the first time I've heard those words. "It's a rental" is a phrase that's often joked about when renting a car, but yet a very serious concern for anybody looking to exchange time in their personal vehicle for money.

Big companies like Enterprise or Budget have come to expect that expedited wear and tear on vehicles is the cost of doing business. They get the cars for cheap since they buy so many at a time, then discount the wear and tear because they make so much money.

But... car owners renting their own personal vehicles in small chunks of time can't quite afford the same abuse that the big guys can. And this type of abuse to a car can, and will, take years off the life of the vehicle.

It's for this reason that I will never, ever, rent my personal vehicle out to a random stranger. And heed my warning; you should think twice before you do too.

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
CO Rideshare said:
Have you ever ridden in a rental car with a friend, then gone over a speed bump at 50 mph and hit your head on the ceiling?
Haha! I hear you on that! There is only one reason I can think of to rent on your car on Turo. The tax deduction. But even for that only under certain circumstances.

Here's how I'd rent out a car... if I owned a second car that I hate. It couldn't be my primary car. And it would have to be one that I don't care if it's destroyed or not. For instance, a car you bought new a few years ago but wasn't an expensive car in the first place. You've put a lot of miles on it and most of its value is already gone. Then, I'd do it.

When you can consider you get more than half a dollar per mile in tax deductions, if you can rent it out and get people to put several hundred miles on them a week - that's a big tax deduction at the end of the year. So if you have other income that you need some deductions against, this isn't a bad way to get some deductions.

If you rent it out to an Uber driver they could easly put 700 - 1,000 miles a week on it. If you could average 1,000 miles per week that would give you $28,340 in tax deductions at the end of the year. Which depending on your tax bracket could give you up to $8,000 in tax reductions! Not bad.

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
Glendale AZ
I have to agree with this, one hundred percent.

No matter what sort of fees or penalties you threaten them with, the amount of them who will treat your property like garbage, is staggering. I used to be in the rental industry myself.