It seems like Lyft riders cancel more trips than Uber riders do

SD204

Dec 16, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
Miami
I drive for both Lyft and Uber, and I've noticed that there are a lot more cancellations with Lyft than there are with Uber. And it drives me crazy.

Are riders using both apps, then cancel the trip once they get paired with a closer one on another app? I don't blame them, but it really bug me especially once I get driving and going to pick them up.

Waste of time!!!!

bhelling

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 23, 2018
Nailed it. A lot of times, riders will use both apps at once. They'll order a ride on each app, then pick whichever one is closer and cancel the other. Unfortunately, there seem to be more Uber than Lyft drivers, so the Lyft ride is the one that gets cancelled since an Uber driver is likely closer than you.

I hate to say it, but this is just part of doing business for rideshare companies and you'll have to develop some patience and not let it get to you.

Reactions: gigabYte

McCrank

Jan 5, 2019
Austin, Texas
New York, NY
Are riders using both apps, then cancel the trip once they get paired with a closer one on another app?
That's probably the biggest part of it. But in the end people don't care about the drivers at all - so they don't think about them. They put in a call for a ride, the driver accepts, then they turn around and their friend says, 'we're leaving, just come with us in our car.'

There are a thousand reasons why people cancel. But the biggest one is - they put in their requests carelessly. They couldn't care less that they're costing some poor schlub some desperately needed dollars.

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
Isn't there a penalty for canceling a drive? I've never done it before, so I wouldn't really know myself.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
Penalty for the rider or driver? It depends for both. One, it depends on when you cancel. If a rider does it under a certain number of minutes - then no penalty. But if they go past the time limit then they get a penalty.

Drivers can cancel before they pickup without penalty - depending on the reason they give. When a driver cancels they're given a screen with some choices as to the reason why they're cancelling. They can also choose "Don't charge passenger" or they can say the passenger should be charged and give the reason.