Juno Shuts Down - don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
New York City
Juno just announced they're shutting down! In a rather abrupt email to drivers, Juno announced today will be their last day and they will officially be shut down as of 6:00 p.m. today. The email was sent at 11:30 a.m. so they effectively gave drivers just 6 and a half hours notice. Seems rather sudden doesn't it?

Juno was a New York City-based rideshare / ride-hail service that has been in business for several years. Juno first started providing rides in New York City in February 2016. In 2017, Juno was bought out by Gett for $200 million! Gett was always a sketchy company in my opinion. They were like the rideshare-on-a-shoestring company. They came to New York after Uber and Lyft and tried to compete against those two giants. Gett was a little gnat compared to them. To me they were sketchy because there was no way in the world that I could see that they could possibly compete against Uber and Lyft.

So, in a desperate $200 million move they bought Juno - which had made some headway in the same niche Gett was in... which was the niche of tiny little companies trying to compete against giants. When they bought Juno, I still couldn't see how they could make it. It's like one losing company buys another - and putting two losers together didn't seem like a good strategy for producing a winner.

Here's a copy of the email drivers just received:

We are saying goodbye
Dear Jon York,
With a heavy heart, we share with you today the sad news that Juno’s service is coming to an end. With the changing situation in the market, we are no longer able to continue our service.
After 6 PM ET today, there will be no more rides on the Juno app, and you will not be provided with any requests by riders seeking transportation via the app.
The final payment, for all the rides that you complete by today, will be made to you in the usual way on Nov 19, arriving in your account within 3-5 business days. You will receive your 1099 Form for the year 2019 via postal mail by the end of January 2020.
If you have any questions, please review our FAQs. Our team will continue to be available for email inquiries at [email protected] from today until Thursday noon EST.
Juno was founded on the belief that happy drivers mean happy riders. Together we achieved so much, setting new standards in ridesharing. Tens of thousands of the very best drivers have delivered tens of millions of highly rated rides.
We are so sorry to be sharing this news. We will miss you greatly and thank you for being our partner in building a business that tried to do things differently.
We couldn't be prouder of the service we were able to create. We know that you will continue to prosper as one of the very best drivers in New York.
With all good wishes for the future,
Team Juno