Just 36% of Americans have tried ride-hailing apps

McCrank

Jan 5, 2019
Austin, Texas
What City & State do you work in?
New York, NY
An interesting survey just out from the Pew Research Center finding that just 36% of Americans have tried a ride-hailing app like Uber and Lyft. But Uber and Lyft are feeling great about that number because it's twice as many people as had tried them three years ago!

But still... come on... just 36%! Oh, and that's not how many people use ride-hails regularly - that's just how many people have tried them at least once. It's a lot fewer Americans than that who use them regularly.

I know if you're a driver you feel like EVERYBODY uses them every day. It's kind of amazing to think it's probably only around 10% of Americans who use them even more than once a month.

bhelling

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 23, 2018
It's also interesting how many people have heard of these services compared to the numbers in 2015. In 2015, 33% of people surveyed had never heard of these apps. Just 3 years later, that number has substantially fallen to 3%. But then again, with how much Uber is in the news, that makes total sense!

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
Hmmm....I would have thought the number would be much higher than that.

Reactions: bhelling

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
Both companies have been pretty aggressive about getting new users for years now. So it's a pretty surprising figure.

It's especially surprising considering I've heard Uber is going to be scaling back on their efforts on that front.

percy_ardmore

Jun 26, 2019
Las Cruces
An interesting survey just out from the Pew Research Center finding that just 36% of Americans have tried a ride-hailing app like Uber and Lyft. But Uber and Lyft are feeling great about that number because it's twice as many people as had tried them three years ago!

But still... come on... just 36%! Oh, and that's not how many people use ride-hails regularly - that's just how many people have tried them at least once. It's a lot fewer Americans than that who use them regularly.

I know if you're a driver you feel like EVERYBODY uses them every day. It's kind of amazing to think it's probably only around 10% of Americans who use them even more than once a month.
You make that sound trivial. Isn't that like 110 million people? Most countries aren't that big.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
You make that sound trivial. Isn't that like 110 million people? Most countries aren't that big.
I think his point was that Uber and Lyft and all the tech media make it sound like EVERYBODY uses them every day and the country would collapse if they didn't exist. And then it turns out only a minority of Americans use them. Just a third! Two thirds would survive just fine without them.