Lyft has a Driver Sexual Predator Problem

RCarolin

Oct 20, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
Miami
As a former federal agent and cold case homicide investigator I made the decision to sign- up to become a Lyft driver after hearing the many media reports of a "national Lyft driver sexual predator crisis." With far too much time on my hands, I signed up to become a driver to see if I might be able to discover why it is Lyft was being hit by a tsunami of claims by female passengers wherein they were suggesting their drivers were sexually assaulting female passengers.

Initially, I began my research with a daily Google search " Lyft driver assaults."

Once I began my search......I was actually shocked by the endless stream of daily news reports pertaining to the number of Lyft drivers that were being arrested by various local police departments from around the nation....most often their being arrested for rape, kidnapping, hostage taking, fondling, stalking, peeping, robbing, knifing, shooting, or murder of a female passenger.

With 1.4 million Lyft drivers nationally......I would reasonably expect a few bad hombres to get approved as a Lyft driver.........but not like this..........Lyft appears to being hit with a tsunami of bad actors whom are gravitating to Lyft in order to advance their criminal behavior. Alarmingly, their target is most often the vulnerable female passenger.

Once I began to garner a better understanding of the magnitude of the Lyft's driver-predator problem.......there was a reported story about a guy that had been arrested for impersonating an Uber driver and killing a 21 year old female student attending the University of South Carolina. This story hit close to home as my granddaughter attends the same university. What I had been hearing about Lyft drivers was truly alarming. So, with too much time on my hands I went online and made application to become a Lyft driver.

As all rideshare drivers well know........Lyft requires prospective drivers to go online to complete and submit an application to become a driver. Generally, within a few short days after submitting the application........most driver applicants are approved to drive.....unless of course their is something in their background that is flagged by Stirling, or Checkr....the two companies which Lyft has engaged to be conduct driver background checks.

At the time, I remember thinking it was very odd Lyft was suggesting I needed to pass a prospective driver "background check" yet would NOT be required to submit my personal work history, and personal references.......nor would I have be required to submit to a drug screening, FBI fingerprint check, or a face-to-face interview with a Lyft employee.

Virtually every other driver industry category in the United States....such as taxi cab driver, truck drivers, city bus drivers, school bus drivers, driver ed instructors, rail / train engineers, charter boat captains, fishing boat captains, charter bus drivers, etc., etc......were REQUIRED to complete an boarding process which includes a mandatory FBI fingerprint check, and a drug screening. Several representatives from the previously identified entities / driver categories have informed me upon checking they would never hire someone whose prior work history was not known......without the applicants references being checked.........and, having completed a face-to-face in-person interview with the proposed new hire.

The question each of the contacts I spoke with at each of the above described transportation entities would ask me during our telephone conversation was " how is it that Lyft is allowed to waive, or eliminate those mandatory requirements (FBI fingerprint checks, drug screening) each of those companies are subjected to by federal, state and local oversight bodies?"

Good question. I didn't have the answer for them.........but after some additional time and research I think I know the reason........Here's a hint......# 140.......keep reading + you can make your own decision. I think I have the correct answer.......I'd like to know if you think I am right. Remember # 140 and keep reading.

To put this all into perspective for those readers that have not had experiences with a formal background check......for Lyft to suggest they were conducting background checks on prospective drivers without them having to submit to an FBI fingerprint check, drug screening, work history, reference check, or a face-to-face personal interview.......is as absurd as having an automobile mechanic telling a car owner that he/she doesn't need to see your car.......he doesn't need to examine the engine.......and then with a straight face says to you......"you have a problem with the catalytic converter, pistons, brakes, and you need 3 new tires.........and it will cost you $ 3.583.18 for me to fix it.

How believable is this car mechanic? Would you believe him? If you are like me......you'd laugh at the mechanic and promptly take your car to another mechanic. How might a mechanic be able to make his diagnosis relative to what is wrong with your car.......unless he is able to look under the hood.............right?

The current Lyft driver "background check" is nothing more than a background “screening” as opposed to being a legitimate background check. The actual facts are Lyft has a most serious national driver sexual predator problem which may only be attributed to their "short cycling"or "limiting" their scope of the driver background check process.

A legitimate background check includes a work history and reference checking. It also includes a face to face interview with the applicant. The record will clearly show that Lyft has made the unilateral decision to eliminate these critical components to the standard background check. It is for this reason we can only refer to their so called driver background checks as being nothing more than an illusion meant to obfuscate the truth from their passengers.

Realizing Lyft + Uber were approving too many people with serious criminal histories, the State of Massachusetts mandated all current Lyft and Uber drivers to retroactively submit to a state administered background check that included an FBI fingerprint check, and drug screening. The results were staggering........ 11,000 active drivers were immediately banned from driving on Lyft + Uber's platform.

If fingerprints and drug screenings were to be required of all current Lyft + Uber drivers in all 50 states might you imagine how many thousands of drivers would be immediately terminated, deactivated and banned from driving for Lyft or Uber?

I can assure you that Lyft co-founders Logan Green + John Zimmer clearly understand the magnitude or impact government mandated fingerprint checks + drug screenings would have on their business........thousands upon thousands of current Lyft drivers would be immediately terminated and banned from driving.....and many thousands of prospective driver applicants now and in the future will be unable to be approved to drive for the company.

Lyft might claim that by including a fingerprint check would 1) cost more money, and 2) slow down the driver approval process.

Allow me to answer these two false claims.........1) Lyft can require all drivers and prospective drivers to submit to an FBI fingerprint check by instructing them to contact their local police departments......who will generally have posted office hours for local citizens to be fingerprinted and certified by a duly authorized law enforcement officer. Most departments will charge the person $15 - $25 dollars for the service......and like millions + millions of other citizens that are in the process of applying for new jobs prospective Lyft driver applicants (or current drivers) can be assigned to be responsible for payment of the processing fee.

As for slowing down the "onboarding" approval process...........has the reader ever attempted to purchase a gun? Within less than an hour......after your information has been submitted to, and approved following a dealer check with State or Federal authorities.......you can be approved/ denied within minutes.

Truth be told......Green + Zimmer are not dummies.......they know without any doubt that given the recent history of the State of Massachusetts mandating retroactive fingerprint checks for existing drivers, and all future driver applicants .......Lyft would lose literally thousands of current drivers who have serial criminal histories.......and over time they would lose millions of prospective driver applicants that have serial criminal histories.

Lyft’s co-founders Logan Green and John Zimmer clearly realize the magnitude of loosing thousands of drivers ......given the fact that 90 % of all drivers quit within their first 120 days of driving for Lyft......... the reader may well understand that losing a driver and a vehicle negatively impacts Lyft’s revenues. Herein lies the crux of the matter . It’s all about time and money. So for years Lyft executives have spun the story that “safety is fundamental” to Lyft “ yet truth be told passenger safety is not the priority ..........money is the root of the matter.

How might I justify or defend my suggestion?

By telling you that Lyft has hired 140 lobbyists to help prevent 49 state governments, legislature’s and city councils from requiring/mandating fingerprint checks for Lyft driver applicants. Of course Lyft executives fail to make public mention of the fact that not only do they not require fingerprint checks, drug screenings, reference checking, or a mandatory face to face interview with a prospective driver.

Their Lyft PR department knowingly, willfully and purposefully deceives the general public by repeatedly making the false claim that the company conducts background checks when truth be told they clearly know that they do not. As a direct result of their corporate nonfeasance hundred of female passengers have been raped, assaulted, kidnapped, stabbed, shot, fondled, stalked, kidnapped, stabbed, and murdered by Lyft drivers.

There is a very real costs for Lyft co-founders Green + Zimmer's nonfeasance.

It's a human cost.

Female passenger lives are put at risk daily by Lyft 365/24/7.

There are hundreds of Lyft drivers preying on our female passengers.

Lyft has become a domestic homeland security matter.

Logan + Green were invited to meet with the U.S. Congress this past Wednesday in Washington, DC. Congress wants to discuss passenger safety along with other major issues (treatment of drivers)........and Logan + Green flatly rejected the invitation to meet + discuss these very issues that have come to the attention of our nations elected officials.

This matter has now become a domestic homeland security issue being actively discussed by the United States Congress, US Senate, FBI, Democratic Party presidential candidates and many individual state and local police agencies. We have even discussed this with various media outlets and national organizations who have expressed their concerns relative to Lyft’s failure to protect female passengers.

Another matter of concern is that a significant number of current drivers are now driving while utilizing another persons ID. This is done to evade being caught by the Lyft background screening process.

Here’s a question for you. Do you know why Yellow Cab (nationally) does not have the same driver predator problem as does Lyft?
The answer is most basic. It’s because in all 50 States where Yellow Cab operates.........drivers are required to submit to a fingerprint check, drug screening and application for a state issued Rideshare driver ID card.

By incorporating these 3 key elements to the Lyft background check process will eliminate 99.9 % of all Lyft drivers with criminal histories.

Having to provide a valid state issued ID at time of licensing will serve to prevent drivers from submitting false identification at the time they submit their ID to Lyft at the time of making application to drive. And by the way.

I respectfully ask that the reader not fall victim to spreading false and deceptive information propagated by Lyft. Hearings are now being planned in Washington DC.
Lyft + Uber executives will eventually be subpoenaed and forced to testify under oath.

Our collective intent is to expose Lyft for their systemic failure to protect female passengers by allowing thousands of drivers with serious criminal histories to continue to drive.

Female passengers victims of Lyft driver assaults, and the nations law enforcement community are making claims in media reports and criminal trials + lawsuits against Lyft that the company fails to assist law enforcement when they are actively investigating a driver related crime.... and for their unconscionable corporate policy of “ ghosting” victims.. As a matter of corporate policy Lyft refuses to report a crime to police. They are absolutely terrible corporate citizens. Their words are hollow.......and their behavior is criminal.

Twitter: @MeTooLyft

https://www.businessinsider.com/lyft-lawsuit-claims-sexual-predator-crisis-among-drivers-on-app-2019-9

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/09/25/sen-blumenthal-assails-how-uber-lyft-deal-with-driver-misconduct-following-washington-post-report/

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-house-panel-strongly-urges-uber-lyft-to-take-part-in-hearing-2019-10

Reactions: Trusty1229

McCrank

Jan 5, 2019
Austin, Texas
New York, NY
Wow. That's some seriously bad information. Everything you said resonates as completely true - from my personal experience - although I had never thought it through to the point to realize just how dangerous Lyft and Uber are for women.

I would also add that everything you said about Lyft is equally true for Uber as well.

It makes perfect sense though. Since there are basically no background checks, criminals will be attracted to these jobs. Which goes a long ways in explaining why the quality of drivers has gone so downhill over time. I used to feel perfectly safe getting into a rideshare. But for the last couple of years, the drivers have been getting sketchier and sketchier and I've felt way less safe.

Anyway, thank you so much for taking the time to post this. It's definitely something for all of us to think about. And something for drivers to think about as they consider whether or not their wives, girlfriends, moms and daughters should use these services.

Trusty1229

Jan 8, 2020
sunnah1978
Wow. That's some seriously bad information. Everything you said resonates as completely true - from my personal experience - although I had never thought it through to the point to realize just how dangerous Lyft and Uber are for women.

I would also add that everything you said about Lyft is equally true for Uber as well.

It makes perfect sense though. Since there are basically no background checks, criminals will be attracted to these jobs. Which goes a long ways in explaining why the quality of drivers has gone so downhill over time. I used to feel perfectly safe getting into a rideshare. But for the last couple of years, the drivers have been getting sketchier and sketchier and I've felt way less safe.

Anyway, thank you so much for taking the time to post this. It's definitely something for all of us to think about. And something for drivers to think about as they consider whether or not their wives, girlfriends, moms and daughters should use these services.
Wait a minute Crank am I missing something here. What do you mean no background checks. I got a background check for both when I signed up. Otherwise I definitely wouldn’t be driving.

McCrank

Jan 5, 2019
Austin, Texas
New York, NY
I didn't say "no background checks", I said "basically no background checks". Of course there are checks, but they're so shoddy it's pretty much as if there are no checks.

Trusty1229

Jan 8, 2020
sunnah1978
I didn't say "no background checks", I said "basically no background checks". Of course there are checks, but they're so shoddy it's pretty much as if there are no checks.
Now I understand where you’re coming from. I agree!