News: Senator Mark Warner creates plan to protect gig workers

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
I don't know what to think of this. On the one hand something definitely needs to be done. On the other hand, when government gets involved things seem to get screwed up. But, for what it's worth they're talking about us in Washington now. A new proposed bill would do a lot of things - most which seem meaningless. But one thing it would do is untether gig workers' benefits like healthcare and sick days from full-time employment. And that seems like a really good change. Why should we only get benefits if we work full time for a single company. Most of us are working just as hard or harder - but for multiple companies. I don't see why we shouldn't get some benefits for all our hard work just because we work for more than one company.
The rise of alternative work arrangements has created a rift in the labor system. Because our system ties many rights and programs to full-time employment, the gig economy–ushered in by Uber, Lyft, Handy, TaskRabbit, Postmates, and a growing list of companies–is creating a second class of workers that don’t have the same benefits.

The gig companies say workers are voluntarily giving up things like paid time off, sick leave, retirement savings, and healthcare, in order to have flexible schedules. The legality of that argument hinges on the argument that gig companies are merely platforms for contractors–not employers, a fight that continues to play out in courts across the country.

But Senator Mark Warner (D-VA) wants to fix the problem fundamentally, and has introduced four bills to create a new system of support for gig workers, by giving tax credits to businesses that train workers, help workers pay for their own training, make it easier for non-full-time employees to get mortgages, and help start a system that untethers benefits like healthcare and sick days from full-time employment.

Reactions: gigGUARD

gigGUARD

Jun 28, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
[email protected]!
Senator Warner presented this bill last year as well and this would be great for people that have multiple gigs. If you look into Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangements - MEWAs - you'll see that this is not a new idea. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act expanded the definition of employer to include "sole proprietors" or owner/operators but I think 11 states have pushed back on the legislation. Regardless, if anyone is is the gig world, Senator Warner should be on your radar.

He is also connected to "Making Mortgages Affordable Act" which is legislation that would allow "1099" income to count as "qualified" income while applying for a loan.

Reactions: Mr. Gig

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
Yeah, I'm liking it so far actually. I mean, they really need to do something so people who work multiple jobs or gigs, whatever you want to call them, can have all their benefits in one place and follow them wherever they go - not stay stuck to each individual employer.

gigGUARD

Jun 28, 2019
[email protected]!
There are a lot of people working on creating this reality but when it comes do to it, it will have to be built by the community of freelancers, gig workers, independent contractors, solopreneurs, and all of us that make up this new economy. Mr. Warner wants to set aside $20M for a grant for research and development to build a prototype but we cannot wait for the government to do this. It will have to be built and supported by those of us that chose this lifestyle.

Reactions: Mr. Gig

McCrank

Jan 5, 2019
Austin, Texas
New York, NY
So how would you propose we go about doing it @gigGUARD? I agree with you that it would be much preferable for us to do something than to rely on government, but what could we do?