NYC - First in the Nation to pass a minnimum wage law for Rideshare drivers

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
New York City
In August this year, New York' TLC (Taxi & Limousine Commission) which licenses Uber/Lyft/Juno and Via drivers - and all for-hire drivers, passed a new rule banning all the rideshare companies from bringing on any new drivers.

Actually, their rule said they were not going to license any new drivers - for a year. And if they're not licensing drivers, there will be no new drivers.

Now, they have passed a new minimum hourly wage. They are mandating that Uber & Lyft and the others pay drivers at least $17.22 per hour after expenses. And in New York, that means they'll be paying $26 per hour gross (before they take their commissions).

1550880949139.png
This is the first time any city in the nation has mandated a minimum wage for rideshare drivers. In New York, there are 80,000 drivers and a study commissioned by the TLC earlier in the year says this will give 96% of them about a $10,000 raise!

It's likely they'll increase fares to pay for it.

I'm curious how drivers think this will play out. One thing is pretty clear... if they're having to pay a certain amount per hour, they're going to make darn sure each and every driver on the road is BUSY! And to do that they may well have to limit the number of drivers themselves. Even more so than the TLC has done. And that would be great news for drivers!

http://gothamist.com/2018/12/05/uber_lyft_driver_wages_nyc.php

Reactions: SD204

SD204

Dec 16, 2018
Miami
Good! We don't get paid enough as it is, so anything that can help us drivers is a big win in my book

CO Rideshare

Dec 5, 2018
I'm going to first say that I need to control myself in my response, as this is a very touchy subject with me, and many other drivers. I think the rideshare companies don't pay us nearly enough, but I don't want to rant too heavily about that, so for now I'll contain myself.

I think this is a huge win for drivers. Not only that, but everybody in the gig economy. However, especially drivers.

Uber might indicate that drivers are earning $19 per hour, but recent data shows that they're really only earning around $14 per hour, before expenses.

So, I can see how this is a huge win for drivers. Glad to see it's starting in New York, and hopefully other states see this too and start giving drivers what they really deserve; increased pay!

Reactions: Mr. Gig and SD204

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
So, it looks like the New York guys are doing really well under this new system. Here's a screenshot I just saw:

1549654299265.png

They say before the rate changes on February 1st they would have made about $55 on this trip. So that's pretty much double what they were making before. DOUBLE! Wow.

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
Interesting. I'll be eager to see how this works out in the next year, and whether it's a model to follow for other cities.