Pro tip: try going for volume instead of just "staying busy"

bhelling

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 23, 2018
Figuring out how to go after tasks that are volume-intensive instead of time-intensive is a topic that I could write an entire blog post on itself, so for the sake of time I want to just quickly touch on a thought I've been recently having after having a conversation with one of my friends.

There's working, then there's working smart. You can get paid for any old job, or you can go after the lucrative jobs that drive results and put more money in your pocket.

When looking for tasks to complete, I've recently realized that some tasks are better than others. For example, you could take an hour to mow a lawn, and in return you'd get about $25. Or, you could find a company that needs large amounts of work done and negotiate a deal that's a little better than that, by 2 or 3x.

I once knew a guy who was a go-to shirt folder for a startup online clothing company. The company he contracted for sold shirts online through Facebook advertising, to the tune of hundreds of sales a day. Well, they needed somebody in their warehouse to fold the shirts, then pack them into envelopes to mail out. But since their demand fluctuated every month, the amount of shirts they shipped out was always different. So if my friend was available, he'd step in and work hourly to help out in busy times.

He made $50 an hour folding shirts. The company was happy to pay that since it was cheaper than a full time employee, and they only had to pay when they got super busy. In return, my friend made quite a bit of money because of volume.

Now imagine if you had 3 or 4 companies like that. You were the "go-to" person for whatever is was the needed help with. You're valuable to them because your services help them make money, but also save them money since they don't have to hire a full time worker. It's not as easy as it sounds, but once you start looking, you'll be surprised at how well thinking outside the box pays off.

Reactions: Mr. Gig

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
Can you give us the phone number of that shirt folding company? What a great gig! I would love to fold shirts for $50 an hour!!

I like your outside of the box thinking! That's a really cool insight.

Reactions: McCrank