The gig economy will only continue to grow into the future

CO Rideshare

Dec 5, 2018
I read a lot of news. It's part of my morning ritual when I get up, and again before I go to bed. I like to read about trends in different industries, but recently I've been reading a lot about the gig economy.

I recently came across a Forbes article that I found particularly interesting. The article talked about how the gig economy is only going to grow in the future, and the type of work that people depend on is very quickly shifting from what it was in the past.

Right now, more than one in three workers are freelancers. Many of this group are funding their retirements through gig work, and most worry about not having enough. Regardless, Forbes notes that half of all U.S. workers will be freelancers.

The writer noted that a few different trends are allowing for aggressive growth in this sector:

1. Less people are completing school, but still making money by working for companies in the gig economy
2. As time goes on, people are more positive about working for freelance jobs. Being self employed is becoming more attractive than it has been in the past
3. Gig workers are now being used to lower costs for companies. Instead of hiring full time employees to do jobs, employers are instead turning to contract-based freelancers.
4. Technology and infrastructure is supporting this type of work. More companies are providing these types of services, allowing for more work and lower costs.

Overall, I'm excited to see where this entire economy goes. I personally think the gig economy is going to be much bigger than most people realize. I'm glad this site exists though, and is at the forefront of connecting everybody working within it!

bhelling

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 23, 2018
I'm glad you like the forum and site. With so much projected growth in the gig economy, we want to try to stay ahead of the curve and provide resources for the workers in this industry. The more empowered gig workers are, the better the economy as a whole.

I read the article and it kind of got me thinking, and curious to see how the gig economy will change in the next few years. There's a huge lifestyle shift, as you noted, that will redefine how people work, what they value in a job, and overall how services get completed and delivered.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
San Antonio
That's so crazy... one in three workers are freelancers now! I can hardly believe it! Things have really changed in the last few years. I think in the past it was more like 5% of workers were freelancers.

Somebody's really going to have to figure something out about insurance and retirement savings for all these people.

jumpin

Jun 14, 2019
Lancaster, CA
The whole thing is bad news in the extreme because the essence is greed. The trucking companies screamed to give less to truck drivers for 30 consecutive years and today they are still screaming to give less to drivers. That behavior has been fully rewarded with the whole gig-worker economy where all companies can now enslave the population
and workers can't get this under control except by new government intervention.

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
@jumpin You really have a point. I'm usually a free-market guy, but I see a lot of these companies really exploiting workers and getting labor for far less than even minimum wage. And remember, minimum wage is so low nobody can live on it. If that's what you make, you're considered below the poverty level! And these companies are getting away paying people less than that. It's really unconscionable.

jumpin

Jun 14, 2019
Lancaster, CA
Sorry for the delayed reply. The shit also does involve minimum wage which politicians call a "living wage" - WOW. Those guys are not just out of touch. I watched a good video
that discusses the real purpose of minimum wage, which is to wipe out small businesses who can't pay it and the big corporations love it because it takes out a lot of their competition and does the same old dance -the rich get richer and the middle gets smaller.

Reactions: McCrank and Mr. Gig