TIP: Walmart Hiring Truckers at $90,000 a Year

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
San Antonio
Just saw this story on CNBC. Walmart is hiring truckers for, actually $87,500. Sorry - I know that doesn't bode well, you just lost two and a half thousand dollars between the headline and the story!!

But, here's the thing. They're hiring 900 new drivers on top of the 1,400 they hired last year. Seems they just can't get enough. But Walmart isn't where you will probably find your opportunity. You'll probably find it at one of the other trucking firms (that pays a lot less) because their drivers are the ones Walmart will be hiring.

The American Trucking Association estimates there are 48,000 driving jobs that are going unfilled right now. That's thanks to the booming economy and low umemployment. The median annual wage for most truck drivers is $44,500. That means Walmart is offering almost double what they're making. So they will definitely be the first to jump on those jobs. They already have the licenses and the experience so they can get those jobs in a snap. But guess what... after they take those jobs, the trucking companies they just left are going to need to fill those jobs and that's where you or I could step in.

It may not sound great, maybe you don't relish the thought of traveling back and forth across the country and long lonely thousands of miles of empty highway boring you to death. Or maybe the thought of sleeping at a truck stop sounds even less pleasant than sleeping in a prison! But the cool thing is - not all truck driving jobs are long distance. A lot of them are regional and even local.

The bottom line is - if you're sick of $10 an hour pay (and even less), $40,000 a year ain't bad.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
Alright, nothing's a picnic. So can we just agree that if nothing's a picnic we may as well work for the highest paying non-picnic?

Gigster Steve

Jun 14, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Another thing about being a truck driver. Many companies will try to perhaps strongly encourage you to own your own rig and seduce you with the thoughts of being your own business owner, etc. Don't fall for it. The truck of the future will be driverless and Tesla is already working on driverless trucks. So if you own your own rig you could be flushing a lot of money down the drain.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
Don't fall for it.
Yep, that sounds like good advice @Gigster Steve. But, I will say - I don't think this driverless anything is going to happen anytime soon. Even Uber's new ceo said it's going to be at least 20 years. Right now driverless vehicles can make it around a well-known route under certain conditions (like perfect weather). But as far as putting them out into the "wild" - on the road by themselves, I think that's a long ways off.

But as far as buying your own rig - (super expensive to start with), but I would imagine in the end it turns out pretty much like buying your own car to drive for Uber. Money down a sink hole.