Tryp's Façade is Starting to Crumble

McCrank

Jan 5, 2019
Austin, Texas
What City & State do you work in?
New York, NY
Tryp, the startup Multi-Level Marketing rideshare company gave its first ride ever in Miami yesterday. Here's the driver who gave the first ride:

Notable Moments:
2:38 - he's unable to put his payment information into the app - so he can't get paid.
2:56 - he was paid $3.95 out of a $5.00 fare
3:33 - the company is charging a booking fee of $1.95 on every trip. Wait a minute! They've been telling drivers that drivers would get 100% of the fare!

It starts off well. Sounds like things are really taking off, until he mentions that the first passenger was Tryp's CEO. I guess that's to be expected. But it doesn't sound like things were really taking off otherwise - except the CEO's plane after he was dropped off at the airport.

Later in the video, however, we find out some really disturbing information. Those of us who have been warning that Tryp is a scam feared exactly what the driver said at the XXXX-minute point in the video.

Remember that the very premise of Tryp's business model is that drivers will pay them $200 a month in exchange for receiving 100% of the fares from passengers. In other words, Tryp has promised drivers if they get a trip where the passenger pays $5 - the drivers will get $5 - plus any tip. That's their whole premise. You drivers pay us $200 a month and you'll keep 100% of the customer's fare.

100% means 100%, right? So, drivers would rightly expect that if the fare was $5 - they would get $5. Not $3, not $4, not $4.50... but the whole five dollars.

So, check out what this driver said. He said the fare was $5.00 but he only received $3.95. Huh? Is $3.95 100% of five dollars? Why no, it's not! It's only 79% of $5.00. So, Tryp took 21% of this fare.

Oh and like Uber, they have a nice name for it. They're calling it a service fee. So, they're taking a service fee. Sounds reasonable, right? Well, it would be reasonable if they hadn't promised drivers 100% of the fare. And it would be even more reasonable if they weren't charging drivers $200 a month!

I thought that's what the $200 a month was for. I thought the $200 a month from drivers was where Tryp had agreed to make all of their money from. That's the money they were supposed to cover their expenses and profit margin out of.

But the driver who drove the first Tryp trip ever says they took 21% out of his pay. And the bizarre thing is, he's not complaining about it! He thinks it's all good. (typical response of members of a cult).
So many of us have been skeptical of Tryp for so many reasons. One, it's an MLM and not all, but many MLMs are nothing but scams created to bring wealth to their owners. And looking at Robert McNulty, the founder and owner of this MLM, thinking scam isn't too far-fetched. In the 1990s the SEC charge him with fraudulent stock manipulations. In essence, he took one company public, telling investors that the proceeds from their stock purchases would be used to fund future growth for the company they were buying the stock in. But he then went and used the money to fund other companies that were completely unrelated to the company investors had bought the stock in! That's fraudulent and it's a crime.

So, we have a guy who's a known swindler and con artist starting a company based on a business model (MLMs) that is known for its high potential for fraud.

Unfortunately, it looks like those who have signed up for Tryp are about to feel the full effects of this con. It's sad for me because I and so many others have tried so hard to warn people. And all they do is spit in your face when you warn them. They act like we're hating on them. But nothing could be further from the truth! We've warned them because we don't want to see them get hurt... taken to the cleaners. We know how hard it is to save a few bucks as a driver and we didn't want to see them throwing their money down a gigantic rabbit hole.

Last edited:

News Hound

Jan 7, 2019
The United States of America
And interesting how he says this. He says, "The company still has to charge a booking fee". What does he mean, they "still have to". They never said anything about that in the past. They said ALL their money would be earned from the drivers' $200 a month payments.

Well, I guess they figured out - wow, we could make a TON MORE money if we also earned $2.00 on every single trip! Imagine, we get one million trips a day - that's an additional $2 MILLION A DAY in earnings!

Now, if a driver did 15 trips a day for 30 days a month and if he was able to keep this $2 per trip... guess how much more he would earn each and every month? He would earn $900 MORE per month than he'll earn with Tryp taking this fee for themselves. So, that's a LOT of money out of drivers' pockets.

The whole reason they agreed to pay $200 a month was their belief that they would more than make it up by not having to pay Tryp any portion of the fare. But if they have to pay $2 per trip to Tryp - they're going to lose hundreds of dollars a month. This really isn't what they signed up for.

This poor driver is so sucked in psychologically by Tryp. He says, with such empathy, that right now the driver's monthly fee and this $1.95 per trip fee, "are the only two sources of income Tryp will have". Ah... poor things. The $200 monthly driver fee just wasn't enough. So now they're going to get an extra $900 or so from full-time drivers! Now they'll make $1,100 a month off of full time drivers!

But they've always said they were only going to have one source of income and that was the drivers' monthly fee. So, shouldn't they have budgeted their expenses so that they could be paid with that alone? Did they just discover they needed more money and come up with this tricky booking fee idea to get it?

And how can this driver be so placid about it...? 'Well, I guess they just needed an extra income stream to pay their expenses.' It's like he just overlooks it, (nothing to see here, folks, move on along). He should be furious about it. But instead, he understands that they need a little extra money. Apparently though, he doesn't understand just how many hundreds of dollars a month more this is going to be out of his pocket.

Joebob

Jun 24, 2019
Nashville, Tennessee
The booking fee was always stated clearly in the policy and procedures. This fee is not deducted from the drivers portion, You probably shouldn't listen to Mc'loser.
Perhaps you should read the policies for yourself before making an ignorant statement.

News Hound

Jan 7, 2019
Whoaa! Look at this! (From Kevin the Apptrepreneur)

So now they're admitting they're taking a fee. Wow. Funny how they NEVER said anything about that while they were signing people up.

And @Joebob, I'm sorry to say, but if you can somehow rationalize this by believing the "fee is not deducted from the drivers [sic] portion" you don't understand how money or percentages work.

100% of the fare means if the tryp was $44 the driver would get $44. If he only gets $42 - then guess what... that's not 100% is it? That's only 96%. Is 96 one hundred? Nope, it's not. It is better than Uber and Lyft... yep. But is it what Tryp PROMISED.... NOPE.

To say it doesn't come out of the driver's portion - come on. If you use that rationale, then Tryp could take however much they want. They could take 90% and say it didn't come out of the driver's portion because the driver's portion is only 10%.

So come on... stop making excuses for these fraudsters.

News Hound

Jan 7, 2019
They've LIED to all of you. Instead of defending them and making excuses for them, you should be angry as hell at them.

Crazyolecrow

Aug 26, 2019
Charleston
Im in WV uber is a scam. Lyft dont bring enough rides to even bother yet tryp wants $200 just to sign up. Is anyone doing cash trips? Like just using the cash app and mileage tracker?

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
They're ALL scams.

Yes, I definitely do cash trips! In the beginning I didn't want to scarf customers away from uber and lyft, but once I saw how much they were cheating drivers, I changed my mind - big time.

Now, I always try to convert my uber and lyft passengers into direct customers. I even got setup with Shopify so they can pay with their credit cards if they like (and most of them do like).

I use an app called Meter that does a great job. You can set the mileage rate and the per-minute rate to whatever you like or by default it will automatically fill in Uber's local rates where you're located. I take the regular Uber rates and mark them up 20%. No one even cares or hardly notices (because their rates are so low to start with). The app also sends them a very nice looking email receipt.

If anyone asks about my charges (and surprisingly some don't), I tell them that I charge slightly more than Uber - and then I explain that Uber charges so little that it's not possible for drivers to make a living and cover all their car expenses. So, they pay a little bit more to get a driver they already know they'll like... most people don't mind that trade.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
I saw that interview. Love Kevin! He did an awesome job on it!

The guy he interviewed is great too. I think if he ran Tryp, I wouldn't have so much problem with them. He seems honest.

They seem to be kind of stuck though. They remind me of when Rudy Giuliani was going to run for president. I don't know if anyone remembers this, but he was going to run, but he kept missing primaries because he thought they weren't the right one. He was going to run in Iowa, but then he decided the Iowa voters weren't friendly to him. So he decided to start in New Hampshire instead. But then he figured New Hampshire voters wouldn't be as friendly as South Carolina voters. So he decided to wait until South Carolina.

But by the time it got to South Carolina other people had taken the spotlight and now SC wasn't friendly territory either, so he figured he'd start in Florida! But by the time FL came around, it was way too late for him.

Tryp seems to be having that same problem with riders. They've spent so much time getting drivers, and they've apparently done a good job with that - but now - they're realizing they don't have any riders! I was glad to hear him say they're not going to charge drivers anything until they have enough riders to make it worthwhile. That was one of my main concern.

But, did you notice at about 11 minutes, he said they only did 3 trips on launch day in Miami? Kevin was right to call him out for calling it a launch. If that was a launch and all they got was 3 trips - all from Tryp higher ups... that doesn't sound good.

He said they don't want to start until they have enough customers, but how are they going to get enough customers if they don't start. At some point - they're going to have to start, by giving free trips to riders yet paying drivers. So they're going to have to have a big wad of cash to fund the start or it's not going to work at all.

KayGeeM82

Aug 25, 2019
Miami, FL
Miami, FL
New update for Tryp!!!
Correction: TRYP Technologies, Inc. has entered into a Strategic Partnership with American Taxi in New Orleans to provide on

Will this partner be something viable in their efforts to grow a successful business model in the gig economy industry.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
Woe... wait a minute. That doesn't sound good at all. That means one of two things - both of which are bad for Tryp drivers.

Either it means they haven't gotten any drivers to sign up in New Orleans, so they're desperately turning to the local taxi company to get drivers.

OR, it means they have gotten drivers but they're going to add 400 more drivers from the local taxi company to compete against their own drivers.

That doesn't sound like at all what they've been promising to do. Did they tell these drivers who are going to be paying $200 a month that they're going to bring in more drivers from outside of the driver/influencer networks? Knowing that these additional drivers will not only compete for trips (meaning fewer trips for each driver), but that it will also mean the influencers won't be able to sign up these 400 prime drivers from the taxi company.

Wow.

Reactions: KayGeeM82

KayGeeM82

Aug 25, 2019
Miami, FL
Miami, FL
Woe... wait a minute. That doesn't sound good at all. That means one of two things - both of which are bad for Tryp drivers.

Either it means they haven't gotten any drivers to sign up in New Orleans, so they're desperately turning to the local taxi company to get drivers.

OR, it means they have gotten drivers but they're going to add 400 more drivers from the local taxi company to compete against their own drivers.

That doesn't sound like at all what they've been promising to do. Did they tell these drivers who are going to be paying $200 a month that they're going to bring in more drivers from outside of the driver/influencer networks? Knowing that these additional drivers will not only compete for trips (meaning fewer trips for each driver), but that it will also mean the influencers won't be able to sign up these 400 prime drivers from the taxi company.

Wow.
Tryp is still struggling to on boarding drivers in Miami at this moment, out of 1200 registered drivers only 400 drivers have passed their background checks. The way Tryp is promoting trips is through special events like Miami Dolphins home games, Tryp is giving out riders coupons for free rides to raise awareness and encourage riders to use the service as an alternative to Uber or Lyft. Just to be clear the service is still beta testing in this market, the project to be live in a 45 to 90 day time frame the city they plan to launch in beta is Orlando, FL.

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
Your honesty in admitting they're struggling in Miami is refreshing. Thank you for that.

Just curious you say only 400 out of 1,200 drivers have passed their background check. Does that mean the other 800 failed it?