Uber Cancels Platinum & Diamond Rewards

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
San Antonio
The thing that is so infuriating when Uber slashes driver pay - is the way they always couch in terms to make it sound like they're doing something good for drivers. If you're going to slash rates - don't say you're doing it "based on feedback from drivers". Don't say you've found "other ways that could make your driving experience more rewarding"! What's more rewarding than being awarded a decent wage for your hard work? How can they possibly have found something "more rewarding" than pay - when it comes to this work? I can't stand their double-speak anymore.

But, they did say when they went public (which will happen next week on 5/10/19) that drivers would become more unhappy (meaning, less well paid).

These two programs were, I thought, two of the best ideas Uber had ever come up with. (So no surprise they're cancelling them)! But these two programs made economic sense. They rewarded the hardest-working, most dedicated drivers Uber has. One problem I always had with Uber (and the other gig companies too) was the most hardworking drivers and the best drivers got no rewards. They were treated exactly the same as the laziest, slovenly drivers out there. If you do a great job - you get paid and treated exactly the same as drivers who do a terrible job. If you have a 4.9999999 rating - you get treated exactly the same as somebody with a 4.2 rating.

And that doesn't make any sense. In no company at any time in recent history has that been the case. Companies have always rewarded better, more productive workers. And they didn't do it because it made them feel good - they did it to keep those hardworking people happy and motivated - so they'd keep working hard! So for once, I thought Uber had come to its sense and realized a little something about human nature and economics. But sadly it looks like I gave them too much credit.

Also, there is talk of a driver's strike in LA this week - two days before Uber's IPO. If you're an LA driver and you're wavering on whether or not to participate in this strike, take this into consideration. The LA market is one of the hugest markets in the WORLD for Uber - so what happens there reverberates across the nation.

As Jon York posted here recently,

24% of Uber's Gross Bookings Come from 5 Metro Areas (3 in the U.S.)
New York City
Los Angeles
San Francisco

So, drivers in these three American cities have a disproportionately large impact on Uber and its financial well-being. Therefore, the drivers of LA should most certainly strike this week!

DarkWhiteShadowATX

May 7, 2019
Austin Tx
If it's cancelled, why is it actually still active here in Austin Tx. I'm still platinum today 5/11/19. Although my scores still go down, never up, the so called new support line can't answer why the scores never go up and dont know the ratio of how many rides it takes to make up 1 declined ride that lowers score 1- to 10 points.

It's a mind game. Testing drivers mentally and intellectually on how much we are willing to take. While psychologically it's working to their advantage and psychologically it's driving us crazy.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
@DarkWhiteShadowATX , I think the actual cancellation date is in July. So it is still going for a while. But they have announced it would be cancelled.

You're the first person I've talked to who has actually been on it. Have you gotten any benefits yet? Like higher-paid trips or anything like that?

They do test us - that's for sure!

McCrank

Jan 5, 2019
Austin, Texas
New York, NY
No, it's not cancelled in July, it was already cancelled on May 1st. But it's not the whole program that was cancelled - it's just the best part of it. The 3% and 6% rate increase platinum and diamond drivers got.

DarkWhiteShadowATX

May 7, 2019
Austin Tx
@DarkWhiteShadowATX , I think the actual cancellation date is in July. So it is still going for a while. But they have announced it would be cancelled.

You're the first person I've talked to who has actually been on it. Have you gotten any benefits yet? Like higher-paid trips or anything like that?

They do test us - that's for sure!
Not really, miss 1 ride takes 10 to make up. If you had a good past 30days you're ok. A couple of negative stars impossible to catch up.

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
No, it's not cancelled in July, it was already cancelled on May 1st. But it's not the whole program that was cancelled - it's just the best part of it. The 3% and 6% rate increase platinum and diamond drivers got.
Yep, it's not the whole program that was cancelled... just the rate increases - which like you say is the only worthwhile part.

Not really, miss 1 ride takes 10 to make up. If you had a good past 30days you're ok. A couple of negative stars impossible to catch up.
So, what do you have to keep your rating at? I haven't really paid a lot of attention to this because I don't drive enough to participate in it? And what do you mean by "miss 1 ride"?