Unwanted Lyft Verification Codes

bhelling

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 23, 2018
I've heard quite a few people complaining about this, so figured I'd clear the deck of the topic.

Scenario: you have a phone number and are getting verification codes from Lyft, but you aren't doing anything with the app that would require you to get a verification code.

What happened: No, you probably haven't been hacked. Another user likely accidentally got a number or two wrong in their phone number when signing up or changing the number on their account, so Lyft is pinging your phone number to verify that the change. If this activity continues, reach out to Lyft. Your account might be compromised, but unless you verify, there's nothing that can be done.

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
Hmm... so if someone accidentally (or purposely) uses our phone number and we get the code, that means we shouldn't respond to it in anyway or they could take over our account.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
San Antonio
no stoopid they can't get into your account because you fill in the code somewhere. how could you fill in the code if you're not the one who initiated the code request?

lcrags

Jan 18, 2019
San Diego CA
Hey. No such thing as Stupid question. The more you know the more comfortable and complacent you become..
no stoopid they can't get into your account because you fill in the code somewhere. how could you fill in the code if you're not the one who initiated the code request?

Reactions: gigabYteMe

bhelling

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 23, 2018
Hmm... so if someone accidentally (or purposely) uses our phone number and we get the code, that means we shouldn't respond to it in anyway or they could take over our account.
Precisely. If you ever get a verification code out of the blue that you didn't initiate, reach out to support and make it clear that you weren't the one to initiate the request.

Reactions: gigabYteMe

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
I think I'd be pretty worried if I got one of those out of the blue. Hasn't happened yet, but most companies do add something like 'if you didnt request this reach out to us please.'