Via's getting desperate for drivers in NYC

News Hound

Jan 7, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
The United States of America
Have you noticed lately that Via is very aggressively advertising for new drivers in NYC? I've been getting text messages from them, and if u search them on Google the first thing that comes up is a paid ad to a driver signup page and promising a $1,000 signing bonus!
1550299902372.png
Any time a company says "up to" $1,000 it should cause you to ask what's the catch? So, what is the catch with Via's "up to $1,000" signing bonus?

Oh, but wait! There's another signing bonus that's "up to" $2,000! For that one you have to drive a Mercedes-Benz Metris.

1550300213114.png

And since you probably don't have one - it's no problem - because Via will happily set you up with a lease deal "starting at" $425 per week. Now wait a minute. Along with "up to", we really have to ask what's up with "starting at". Why are they leasing the Metris "starting at" $425 per week? Don't they know the final price? Can't they divulge the final price online? But that's how they state the price on their website.

1550300246853.png
When you click on Learn More, what you learn is that you can rent the Metris for $425 a week as long as you're able to put down a $1,000 deposit. If you can't afford the deposit, then you're going to have to pay $450 - $500 a month.

These lease deals are through some of the worst TLC car dealers in New York City, including American Lease, VMAC and Tower.

News Hound

Jan 7, 2019
The United States of America
Interestingly, this guy says the Metris is the worst minivan ever made!

Last edited by a moderator:

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
Can you drive for VIA while driving for Uber and Lyft? If you can, then I'd go for it; not the Mercedes lease obviously, the regular $1,000 bonus.

Reactions: Jules

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
New York City
Yes, you can drive for Via while driving for Uber & Lyft.

Jules

Jun 15, 2019
Stanley, NC
I drive a Jag and the payments are crazy I would love to be able to do this any tips for the new girl and Charlotte North Carolina

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
New York City
Hey, my sister lives in Charlotte!

So when you say you drive a Jag - are talking like a Jaguar car? If so, my first advice would be FORGET IT! You will lose more value on the car than you'll ever earn from driving. Have you seen the low rates they pay in Charlotte? It's terrible. It will literally cost you more every mile you drive than they pay per mile.