Watch out for scam Blog Writers Wanted jobs from Young Living affiliates

gigabYte

Dec 7, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
Long Island, NY
Young Living is a multi-level marketing health products company – or at least what they say are health products. They have a lot of “essential” oils and aroma therapy things on their site.

The other day I saw a request purporting to be from them, which I now believe was probably from one of their sellers, but maybe not.

They were paying a very high amount for Upwork, although still low for real work. They were offering $2,500 for six articles, which would come out to about $417 per article. So, I’m thinking if they wanted a standard 500-words piece, I could do that. I could crank them out in a little over a week. Even if they wanted 1,500 word pieces that would come to $0.28 cents per word which is at the low end of my range. But, I thought okay even though it would take me a little longer.

I got busy and wasn’t able to read the details at that moment and when I remembered to get back to it, I saw that out of the 45 people they had sent t invite to 32 hadn’t responded. I realized I had time to really go through their invite and see what it was all about and that also piqued my interest as to why so few people had responded.

As I read through it, I started to realize why! It was definitely a scam. Check out what all they wanted.

First, they didn’t want 500 or 1,500 word articles – they wanted 3,500 word articles! Who needs 3,500-word articles! Much less six of them at a time. Anyway, this is less than $0.12 cents per word – so forget it. That’s way, way below my minimum.

But I kept reading and found things that were even more way disturbing than that. For instance, they said:

• I would have to give them 6 unpaid writing samples of 300 words each. Which goes way against Upwork’s ToS.
  • I MUST USE Young Living products!! Wait… what? Excuuse me… I must purchase your products before you can hire me to write for you? Uh, this is also way against Upwork’s terms of service. And by the way, the only way you can use Young Living’s products is if u become a member (and pay a lot of money… more than a hundred dollars)! And when you become a member you’re expected to start recruiting others!
  • They wanted us to submit photos of ourselves. Uh… NO! And why in the world would they want that? What does the way we look have to do with ghostwriting articles for them. Ghosts are supposed to be invisible you know! Plus, they can already see my photo on Upwork.
  • And last but certainly not least – they wanted us to write an UNPAID testimonial. This is also very much against Upwork’s Terms of Service.
In the end I was left with the impression that they’re actually spamming Upwork workers trying to recruit new customers for their company. I also noticed they have posted 11 jobs but they’ve never hired anyone, which is a big red flag. And the more I thought about it the more it became obvious that their real goal was simply to recruit CUSTOMERS!

So, if you see anything from Young Living I just have one piece of advice. REPORT AND RUN! Report them to Upwork for all the numerous violations they have and run the other way and don’t ever look back.

No wonder they offer what on the surface appears to be more pay than most Upwork jobs. Because once you look under the hood, you realize two things. 1. It’s a lot more work than they state in their subject line; and 2. they aren’t actually hiring anyone so it’s not a job ad at all. It’s a recruitment ad.

Young Living = SCAMMERS

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
Thanks for warning writers like me about this sort of thing. Awful!

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
Not to mention the stupid length of articles they wanted. I don't know about you, but when I come across an article or blog that I find is too long, I stop reading after a certain point.