What is Jump Bikes?

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
A lot of people don't know what Jump is, so I thought I'd give some information on it here.

JUMP Bikes is a dockless electric bike sharing system that currently operates in the United States and Germany. "Dockless" bikes are bikes that don't have to be dropped off at any particular place. The company doesn't provide stationary docks where riders have to leave their bikes or scooters. People can leave them anywhere they like - within the zone they're allowed to travel in.

The service launched in Washington, DC in September 2017. Less than two years later Uber acquired them for $200 million! Not bad for a year and a half of work! This came after Uber partnered with them in February 2018 allowing certain users to access Jump's bikes in San Francisco. Apparently that test went so well Uber decided to buy the company.

Currently they offer their services through their own app as well as through the Uber app in the following cities:
  • Santa Cruz, CA
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Chicago
  • Austin
  • New York City
  • Denver
  • Providence RI
  • Santa Monica
  • Berlin, Germany
They have announced plans to expand into Vancouver, BC in Canada.

in October 2018, Jump began to roll out a scooter-sharing system in Santa Monica.

Jump, as well as all the new dockless e-bike and e-scooter companies has been the target of a growing amount of criticism from cities. In August 2018, the New York Post ran a story after JUMP placed 100 of its bikes near Fordham University in the Bronx. The article was titled, "Dockless bikes are already clogging NYC sidewalks".

And that's one of the many complaints that has been lodged against these companies. Since they work on a "dockless" system, people throw the bikes and scooters wherever they please. And a lot of residents are getting fed up, feeling that these "vehicles" are littering and clogging the sidewalks.

Often times the bikes and scooters are broken down and no one comes out to retrieve them or repair them. One resident in the Rockaways (near JFK airport in Queens, NY), complained, "They drop them off outside any house or in the middle of the street and leave them there until someone takes them again. They could be there for three nights!"

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
Glendale AZ
At first I didn't realize that Jump was done by Uber. But now that I know, I'm a bit mystified.

Their margins are razor-thin on rideshare as it is (if not nonexistent,) and scooters are even worse if I'm not mistaken. So, with this move into scooter, all I'm thinking is.....what?

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
Yeah, it doesn't really make any sense does it? The only thing I can think of is that one company started it and suddenly a million wannabe entrepreneurs jumped on it thinking if the other company was doing it - it must be a great idea. Now I think that they've all gotten into it they're starting to realize that it's a go-nowhere deal.

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
Glendale AZ
Yeah, it doesn't really make any sense does it? The only thing I can think of is that one company started it and suddenly a million wannabe entrepreneurs jumped on it thinking if the other company was doing it - it must be a great idea. Now I think that they've all gotten into it they're starting to realize that it's a go-nowhere deal.
True. It's almost like the old lessons of business, including having a business plan and being able to show an accurate profitability forecast, don't exist when it comes to Tech. I think part of it is because everyone wants to be on the ground floor.