What is Jyve?

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
New York City
I have to admit, I had never heard of Jyve before until just recently. There was an article in Forbes, ostensibly about Instacart and what a terrible company they are. But about halfway through the writer started talking about Jyve and it actually sounded like a gig company that's doing things right!

The author's main point is that the grocers Instacart has partnered with are giving away all their customer data to Instacart which may eventually make it possible for Instacart to become a competitive threat to them. His opinion was that this is unethical and that the grocers who have partnered with them have made a big mistake.

Basically, grocers had the fear of God put into them when Amazon bought Whole Foods. They instantly felt that they might go out of business if they too didn't find a way to deliver to their customers... and find it fast! Well, apparently it was faster and easier to just bring on Instacart to do the job, since Instacart already had everything in place to do deliveries.

The writer, who is a retail expert of apparently world renown had some very interesting things to say. I read all this from the workers perspective and I’ll highlight his comments that have relevance for us.

“Based on a thorough review of Instacart competitors, I believe Jyve has positioned itself as a leading alternative to Instacart, and one of the best choices for grocery retailers to leverage in order to meet their e-commerce needs.

Jyve offers a best in class solution for picking and packing groceries and has partnerships with digital storefronts and delivery service providers - like Deliv - to make it the complete package for retailers. More importantly, Jyve has a solid leadership team truly focused on creating a welcoming and positive experience for its gig workers.
The fact that he would even think to mention gig workers there was pretty amazing because it’s something most people don’t even think about. And the fact that somebody at Jyve has made an impression on him about treating the workers well is even more interesting.

But wait… that wasn’t the most interesting part! Check this out. He said:

“What I find interesting (and what I appreciate) about Jyve, is that the company has invested heavily in its human capital. The company has created what’s called the ‘Skill Economy’ and developed a platform that assesses a person’s skill set then uses machine learning to match the person to a retailer or CPG brand’s needs - merchandising, inventory management, brand ambassadorship and e-commerce fulfillment.”
Okay, it’s not often at all that you hear a gig company “has invested heavily in its human capital”. And then when he said the company has created something called a “Skill Economy” – that really piqued my interest. Because one of the main problems with gig work so far is that almost none of the jobs are skilled jobs. What skill do you need to drive a car and pick up and drop off passengers? And what skill really do you need to go to the grocery store and work a shopping list and then deliver it to someone. That’s no more skill than it takes to go to the grocery store and do the shopping for yourself. In other words, everyone does it so there’s no skill involved there that everyone else doesn’t already have.

But what if you could work for a gig company that actually did need some higher-level professional skills? That could create an environment for much better pay. The more a company needs skills that not everyone has the greater the chance is that workers will get higher pay.

Then I saw that what they’re really doing – is actually much, much more than just an Instacart-style delivery service. Check out this graphic:

1549953888161.png

How cool is that!!?? Look at the upper right-hand corner where it says Ordering. That’s the Instacart portion of their business. But they’re also doing something much more than Instacart. In the upper left-hand corner it says Merchandising. That’s where they send gig workers into retail stores, like grocery stores, to help them position products better on their shelves and things like that – that will help them sell more. And that’s actually a very skilled job. And people who do that kind of work for regular non-gig companies make really good money.

It was really amazing to see a gig company starting to work with such high-skilled jobs! It’s a really good sign for this whole industry. And it really is the way gig workers are going to start making a decent living.

As long as we’re doing jobs that pretty much anybody and their brother could do – we’re just not going to make that much. But when it starts to get into these higher-skilled jobs – that’s when we could start making some real money and have the same work flexibility that all the gig jobs offer right now.

How to Sign Up with Jyve and be a Jyver
To sign up as a Jyver with Jyve just go to their website and click on Become a Jyver. Or just go directly here.

Apparently they do some kind of qualifications testing to see what their workers are best suited for – which is great because if you have any skills above the ability to drive a car, they should put you in a higher-level job where you can earn more.

The types of jobs they have are mainly in grocery stores and they include:

• Stocking (not so high-level)
  • Merchandising (high-level)
  • Ordering (high-level)
  • Auditing (super high-level)
  • E-commerce fulfillment (Instacart low-level)
  • Brand Ambassador (high-level)
1549953848113.png

How Much Can You Make with Jyve?
On their website they say you can make anywhere from $200 to $2,000 per week. I would normally be highly suspicious of the $2,000 claim, but in this case seeing how they have higher-level jobs… it sounds like it could be true.

Attachments