What is Shipt?

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
New York City
Shipt is yet another grocery shopping service. Not sure we need more - but we could use one or two that treats its workers well (means they pay them a living wage)!

And I have to give them a big hand for not spelling their name Shypt! Kind of surprising they didn't. But, good to see. Maybe it's a sign they think a little differently from the rest.

One thing I hate about all these websites is since you know they're not everywhere, instead of letting you find out if they're in operation where you are - they immediately pester you to sign up. Well, how can you know whether or not you should sign up if they don't give you an easy way to look it up as the very first thing when you visit their sites? Anyway, Shipt is like the others in that regard.

As far as gig workers go, they say their minimum hourly earnings start at $22 an hour. Well, that remains to be seen and is a little unbelievable since everybody else is making far less than that. (See here for why wages like this really can't last).

If they were really paying their workers well, don't you think in their (fake) worker testimonial section some of the workers would say they love working for Shipt because they're making really good money? Well, none of them say that! Instead here's what a few of them say. They say they love it because:
  • "I love that feeling of knowing I'm helping someone..."
  • Joy loves it because "it's flexible" and she can work it into her busy schedule
  • Elizabeth says, "I don't think I could find another job where I had this much fun!" (Really)!?
  • Michael enjoys the freedom of shopping and meeting new people.
  • Barbara says she likes it because the shoppers greet each other by name. (Hmm...)
  • And Willie likes the feeling of knowing he's helping someone.
Well, all these people who like the feeling of helping someone could go do some volunteer work somewhere. That's a really great way to help people!

1550892276638.png1550892382857.png

Mr. Gig

Dec 6, 2018
Wow everybody's really raggin' on Shipt tonight! What's up with that?

I thought Shipt was some super small company but apparently they're really big. They're in a ton of cities... looks like they're pretty much nationwide.

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
Glendale AZ
Hahah, those 'testimonials' look so cookie-cutter they almost look like powerpoint slides!