What is TaskRabbit

gigabYteMe

Dec 7, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
Long Island, NY
TaskRabbit is an online mobile marketplace that pairs up freelance workers with local customers allowing consumers to find immediate help with everyday tasks.

Some of the tasks that TaskRabbits perform include, cleaning, moving, delivery, handymen, furniture setup. Pretty much anything you might need additional human hands around to do in your house, TaskRabbits can do.

They can also go shopping for you or pickup things you’ve ordered at stores. They can shovel snow off your front lawn. There’s really almost no end to what you can find a tasker to do.

I’ve used them a couple of times to help me bring up really heavy furniture that I’ve ordered online. I live on the third floor of a building with no elevators. So if I order furniture or anything heavy – and if the delivery men who drop it off won’t bring it upstairs, I have a big problem on my hands. TaskRabbit has come in handy several times over just the last few months in that respect.

TaskRabbit was founded in 2008 by Leah Busque. TaskRabbit raised over $50 million as it was starting out. In 2017 Leah stepped down as CEO of TaskRabbit because they were bought out by Ikea. Now, Ikea prominently features TaskRabbit in its do it yourself assembly furniture sales. Most Ikea furniture has to be self-assembled at home when you receive it so now Ikea promotes TaskRabbit saying they can be used to assemble the furniture for you. And that’s true… they are usually really good about doing exactly that type of job.

We assume that Ikea trains some Taskers in the assembling of their furniture so they can actually do a speedy and competent job but, I’m not sure if that’s the case. I would hope so though.

It’s an interesting story how she ended up starting TaskRabbit. In one interview I heard her tell the story. She had originally started a company that was the forerunner to TaskRabbit called RunMyErrand. RunMyErrand was launched in 2008 in Boston and she initially had 100 “runners”.

In 2009, Tim Ferriss, an investor, became an advisor to the firm after meeting Leah at Facebook’s startup incubator called fbFund. (Pro Tip: If you start a company try to find a wealthy investor to become one of your advisors)! Tim eventually invested $1 million in Leah’s startup.

In April of 2010, she changed the name of the company from RunMyErrand to TaskRabbit. And keep in mind, because it’s easy to think she came up with this idea after seeing what Uber had done. But Uber didn’t start until 2009 – so TaskRabbit was actually one of the very first gig companies in existence. So, it’s pretty cool to see they made it and they’re still around today.

TaskRabbit actually turns out to be one of the better gig opportunities on the market. The reason why is because they let taskers set their own prices. They don’t have a set price that all taskers have to follow. Taskers can set their own prices and studies show that gig jobs that allow workers to set their own prices always result in higher pay for the workers. So, TaskRabbit isn’t a bad gig in the end – especially if you don’t mind lifting heavy things or assembling complicated things!

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
New York City
I hear the connection with Ikea is fumbling. Weird. You'd think that would be a real natural, but apparently business is down for TaskRabbit.