Why Low-Quality Workers Are Getting Kicked Off of Upwork

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
New York City
As we all know, Upwork is getting more selective - which is actuall great for people who are really good at what they do.
1550617513154.png
Above are some of the main Upwork categories.

As you can see from their categories, pretty much anybody and their brother can claim to be one of those. Who doesn't say they're a web developer today? Or a web designer or a writer? There are no industry licenses or exams that people have to take in order to claim to be one of those things. But claiming you're a web developer is a far cry from being a great web developer. Or, even a good one!

In the early days of Upwork they pretty much accepted anybody and everybody and that had a very bad effect on the people who were truly talented and good at what they did. It meant that if you were good and you told a client their small website job would cost $5,000, there was always some no-talent individual who would come in and offer to do the same job for literally $50. And even though the client would know the $50 website wasn't as good as the $5,000 one would have been - the temptation to save that kind of money was so strong they would almost always go with the cheapest bid.

But now, Upwork is changing rapidly. They're starting to get a lot more strict about who they accept. They're starting to demand that the people on their system actually are good! Which is great for the people who are good but not so great for the people who aren't good.

For the people who are good it means they can charge a price that will fairly compensate them for the quality of their work, which means you’ll make a decent amount of money. And it’s hard to feel sorry for all the people who provided low-quality work getting kicked off. They weren’t helping anybody but themselves.

How Upwork is Finding and Getting Rid of Low-Quality Workers
The ways Upwork are clamping down on low-quality workers are very interesting. They’re being quite clever about it! For instance:
  • It is unlikely a worker will be accepted into a category unless they have a very strong background in it
  • To go into any of the high-demand categories, workers will have to prove their strong background by having and showing great samples of their past work.
  • Since Upwork is becoming much more selective about which freelancers they approve and keep, they will now kick off any workers who submit a lot of bids but don’t get accepted for any jobs. So, watch out!
  • Don’t submit bids in categories you’re not fully qualified to work in. Because the people hiring you will find you out. And they will indicate to Upwork, over time, that they do not consider you qualified by their rejection rate. If you submit to a hundred companies and none of them hire you or only one or two do – Upwork may look at that and say, ‘this person’s acceptance rate is so low that they must not have the kind of quality we’re looking for.’
  • Your bid acceptance rate is kind of like a customer review or rating. If you have a low acceptance rate it’s the equivalent of having bad ratings or bad reviews. So only apply for things for which you know you are seriously qualified and have a good shot at being hired for. Because too many rejections and you’re out.

Attachments

ChaoticNeutral

May 16, 2019
RUABON
I do have a solid background in writing and still cannot get accepted onto the platform, I attached samples and have good reviews from other sites. I wouldn't say they are not accepting only low quality workers as this is pretty insulting. It seems impossible for a high demand freelancer who is just starting out to get on the platform at all. This is pretty unfair

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
@ChaoticNeutral - wow. I mean, I can tell just by the couple of sentences you've written here that you're probably a decent writer. No grammatical mistakes or spelling errors - which is more than you can say for most writing on forums. Even the OP had a typo in his first sentence I just noticed!

I do have a solid background in writing and still cannot get accepted onto the platform, I attached samples and have good reviews from other sites.
So, looking at some of the categories they have workers in, from writing to coding to sales and marketing - who at Upwork is qualified to even determine who's good in all those different fields? Does a software coder know if a content writer is any good? And if so, how would they know? And if they have content writers who are judging, how would a content writer know if a coder is any good!?

I would think they'd have to rely on reviews on other sites. So, if you have good ones, that should carry a LOT of weight with them. What else would they be looking for if not good reviews?
I wouldn't say they are not accepting only low quality workers as this is pretty insulting.
Did the OP say that? I think he said they're only accepting high-quality workers?

ChaoticNeutral

May 16, 2019
RUABON
@ChaoticNeutral - wow. I mean, I can tell just by the couple of sentences you've written here that you're probably a decent writer. No grammatical mistakes or spelling errors - which is more than you can say for most writing on forums. Even the OP had a typo in his first sentence I just noticed!

So, looking at some of the categories they have workers in, from writing to coding to sales and marketing - who at Upwork is qualified to even determine who's good in all those different fields? Does a software coder know if a content writer is any good? And if so, how would they know? And if they have content writers who are judging, how would a content writer know if a coder is any good!?

I would think they'd have to rely on reviews on other sites. So, if you have good ones, that should carry a LOT of weight with them. What else would they be looking for if not good reviews?

Did the OP say that? I think he said they're only accepting high-quality workers?
Thanks Austin. I think that the OP implied that, but apologies he didn't actually state that.

Austin Bob

Dec 15, 2018
San Antonio
Thanks Austin. I think that the OP implied that, but apologies he didn't actually state that.
Ah, yep, you're right!

So, what other sites have you freelanced with? And do you have any you've actually liked?