You Won't Believe Who's Fighting Tooth & Nail to Keep From Paying Drivers a Living Wage

Jon York

Nov 30, 2018
What City & State do you work in?
New York City
Do you know what the two ridehsare companies are that have the biggest reputations for being friendlier to drivers? They are Lyft & Juno. Lyft was the friendly new spunky startup that was showing Ube what it was like to treat drivers like humans. Remember that?

Then, a few years after Uber & Lyft started up, a new tiny startup comes along called Juno - operating exclusively out of NYC. They started with an even better reputation. They promised drivers stock options! (Turns out they basically committed fraud in the process and drivers never saw any payoff). But they also promised to take a cut that was 10% smaller than what Uber and Lyft were taking.

Well guess who now is SUING IN COURT to prevent New York City's new driver minimum-wage law from taking effect. The law kicks into gear tomorrow February 1, 2019. When it does, the companies will have to pay drivers a fixed minimum per hour. If drivers don't earn that much doing their regular trips the companies will have to make up for the shortfall. If they do earn that much, then the companies don't have to kick anything in. And drivers can earn moe than that - if they can just get enough trips.

And I bet getting enough trips won't be so much of a problem very soon. Because believe me, when these companies have to guarantee drivers a certain fixed minimum per hour - they are not going to have more drivers on the streets than they need... you can mark my word on that. They will have to come up with some way to limit the number of drivers on the road at any one time.

So it's definitely causing some turmoil at the companies. But ironically, Uber is not the one suing to stop this law from taking effect. It is Lyft & Juno who are suing! How ironic is that? The two companies drivers have always felt cared a little more about them - are doing everything in their power to keep from having to pay drivers one thin dime more. And the big greedy companies that we've all grown to hate - Uber - isn't participating in the lawsuit.

Go figure.

Graham

Feb 4, 2019
What City & State do you work in?
Glendale AZ
"Because believe me, when these companies have to guarantee drivers a certain fixed minimum per hour - they are not going to have more drivers on the streets than they need... you can mark my word on that. They will have to come up with some way to limit the number of drivers on the road at any one time."

I do hope that that doesn't come in the form of cutting back on total drivers in the city.